Asperger’s syndrome is a developmental disorder with multiple cognitive and behavioural problems. If you are looking for care homes for your adult child with Asperger’s, here are some of the factors you should consider.
1. The Care Quality Commission regulate the care sector and there will be a report available to the public detailing the homes standards and giving it an overall rating. This report will help indicate the strengths and possible weaknesses of the service.
2. How does the home feel: Would you like to live there? Does the home feeling safe, warm and homely? Are the staff friendly and presenting a natural approach?
3. Find out what activities people do – do people access the community, enquire about activities people do and how often.
4. Feedback – find out how you will receive feedback about the care delivered. The home should be accommodating to your wishes, you should be able to phone day or night to speak with someone or your loved one, you should receive regular information and be invited to important meetings.
5. What is local transport like – can you easily access the home via road or public transport.
6. If the home is supported living, will the local housing allowance cover the rent? Find out how any shortfall will be met.
7. Meals – look at a menu plan, see if you can stay for a meal or be around at mealtimes to assess the quality of the food.
8. Health services – understand what the local health services are like, where is the local GP or hospital, this is especially important if your loved one has specific health needs.
Looking for a care home in London which takes care of people with challenging behaviour in learning disabilities, Asperger’s, autism, or other healthcare needs? Get in touch today.